How would you like to earn a paid master’s degree while working at one of the hottest media companies in the country?
Reckon and Advance Local Media are offering an exciting and unique opportunity for you to pursue a paid online master’s degree with the Newhouse School of Communications within Syracuse University, while working part-time with our newest brand, Reckon, as we grow into the spot for folks who are grinding to build a better South.
This program features a flexible start date to coincide with Syracuse University’s online terms, beginning in July. Fellows can be based anywhere in the South; we’re especially interested in candidates in growing Southern cities such as Atlanta or Nashville. Find the application here.
Founded in 2017 and developed into a startup standalone brand in 2020, Reckon is all about the generation building and conquering the challenges facing the South and shaping its future. We tell stories that no one else is telling in the South:
- We’re doing politics coverage differently by dedicating our award-winning podcast this election season to the movements, coalitions and changemakers shaping the South — and America.
- Our Reckon Women team brings together women of all ages and backgrounds for solutions-focused discussion in our nationally recognized Facebook group and through groundbreaking reporting dedicated to talking about issues Southern women were raised not to talk about.
- And even as we cover what’s going on with racial justice in America, we’re also making time for Black joy.
In your part-time role during the academic program you will:
If selected, you will be part of a dynamic team focused on all the ways the South influences the nation through political movements , knowing how to hustle and The Culture.
You’ll have the support you need to build your career from our experienced editors and award-winning journalists and producers.
We want journalists who care deeply about serving Reckon’s audience – those who are often overlooked and ignored by other media – who bring a diverse skillset, voraciously consumes news about the South and can pitch smart stories about news, trends and conversations; who can write quick stories for the web and social media; produce video; and work independently or as a part of teams working remotely across multiple states.
Even though we encourage you to apply even if you don’t check every box, some of the things we hope to see in the successful candidate include:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Experience or an interest in reporting for a specific audience and authentically engaging with that audience. We expect our staff to grow audience.
- Understanding of news writing, story structure and journalistic principles such as deadline urgency, ethics and fairness
- Experience with digital photography, design, audio and video recording/editing
- Experience with best practices for social media and SEO
- An entrepreneurial mindset to our journalistic work and the ability to pivot quickly. You need to be comfortable with imagining new and different ways to tell stories.
- Understanding the differences between platforms and the imperatives of each
In addition, successful Applicants to the Newhouse School Master of Science in Communications program will have:
- Preferred 3.0 or higher undergrad GPA
- Positive recommendations from at least one academic source
- Positive recommendations from current or former employer(s)
- Proven ability to utilize technology
- Relevant internships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A clear vision of why you want to pursue this master’s degree
Reckon is a part of Alabama Media Group, home to AL.com and It’s a Southern Thing. Reckon’s journalism with AMG has garnered major awards, including national investigative prizes, Emmys and a Pulitzer Prize. We have partnered with Google, Facebook and other community-building brands.
Reckon is also part of one of America’s largest media companies – Advance. Advance owns and operates Conde’ Nast, which publishes The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, GQ, Architectural Digest, Stage Entertainment and much more. Advance is a major shareholder in Discovery Channel, Charter Communications, WIRED, and Reddit.
If you’re interested, please apply and include a cover letter telling us why you would like to obtain a master’s degree and how you would apply the knowledge and skills gained to a career with Reckon. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or hit my DMs @rlnave with any questions.
Even more additional Information
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile’s Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with the up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama in the communities we serve.
Alabama Media Group is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.